Application for Temple Emanuel Director
1. Summarize your involvement (past and current) in the community, life and activities of Temple Emanuel, including committees served on and committee chair positions held, if any.
2. What do you enjoy most about your membership experience at Temple Emanuel?
3. Why do you want to (continue to) serve on the Board of Directors of Temple Emanuel?
4. What strengths, areas of expertise, and perspective will you (do you) bring to the Board of Directors?
5. Do you have experience (past or current) serving on other boards of directors? Please describe your experience with boards of other organizations.
6. In what 2-3 areas do you believe that Temple Emanuel should improve its efforts?
7. Temple Emanuel’s Bylaws require each Director to comply with a Covenant of Responsibilities (Brit). Please reflect on the ten responsibilities of the Brit (listed below) and indicate your willingness to comply by placing a check next to each obligation below:
Brit for Directors and Officers
Be a Member in good standing of the Congregation
Attend all meetings of the Board of Directors (at least monthly meetings)
Serve as an Officer or Committee Chair or be actively involved in at least one Committee
Participate in and be supportive of Congregation activities
Participate in the religious life of the Congregation
Donate funds to the Congregation annually in a personally meaningful amount
Meet the fiduciary and other responsibilities of a Director, including, without limitation, acting in the best interest of the Congregation, exercising reasonable care in all financial and other decisions, avoiding conflicts of interest and being informed about matters to be considered by the Board of Directors
Serve as an ambassador for the Congregation to existing and potential Members and the broader community
Participate in Board of Directors leadership development programs
Serve as a mentor to newer members of the Board of Directors and other Members to help identify and nurture emerging Congregation leaders
8. Describe any other factors the Nominating & Governance Committee should consider when reviewing your request to be (re)nominated to the Board of Directors.
9. Please provide the names of members of our Temple Emanuel community who in your opinion would make good synagogue leaders in the future.
Are you a current Director seeking re-election to the Board of Directors?
a. What have you liked best about your experiences on the Board of Directors?
b. What 2-3 things do you feel can be done to improve the Board of Directors?
c. To what extent do you feel your Board performance has upheld the responsibilities outlined in the Brit above? How would you rate your level of contribution to Board discussions and decisions? What can be done to enhance your own Board participation?
d. Looking ahead, what new or additional role(s) would you like to play in the upcoming year? What would you like to do to continue to deepen your engagement with our Temple Emanuel community?
Thank you for your interest in serving as a Director of Temple Emanuel